Thank you for visiting Alertpedia (originally called alertearth.org). This blog is intended for feature announcements, thoughts, and user feedback on the website http://www.alertpedia.com, a non-profit web service for email alerts on health news, product recalls, earthquakes, weather events and more. The site was started in response to the Indian ocean tsunami but has since grown.
Here’s a bit more on Alertpedia:
What is Alertpedia? Alertpedia is a free, reliable, and comprehensive online alerting service – like Wikipedia for Alerts. It monitors hundreds of reliable news sources and sends out email alerts when there is information of importance to you. This way, all of us can lead safer lives with more free time to do other things! Examples:
- Health: High levels of bacteria detected in local lakes, or new tips / cures for dealing with asthma
- Product Recalls: Certain toys are recalled due to unacceptable levels of lead; or food with peanuts in them.
- Weather: A thunderstorm is headed towards Somerset county, NJ
- Earthquakes: A 5.2 quake occurred in California 1hr ago
We are constantly adding new features and news categories to the site – our goal is to make this a one-stop shop for alerts on all of world’s information.
What are the benefits of using Alertpedia ?
- Stay safe by being better informed
- Save time. You can now avoid repeatedly checking zillions of websites for infrequent and unpredictable events.
- Single place to monitor hundreds of reliable information sources
- You get a chance to help others by reporting alerts to the site
How does it get the information? Alertpedia continuously monitors and gathers information from hundreds of reliable sources like the US govt bulletins, Yahoo!, etc. Users, like you, have the ability to report news items you come across and add to the many valuable sources of information.
How to get the most out of Alertpedia?
- Use filter words or specific search terms when you set up alerts.
- If you happen to chance upon useful news articles anywhere on the internet, report it at the site for the benefit of yourself & other users.
- Spread the word. Tell your friends to sign-up for their alerts. Our experience has been that they will be thankful to you!